Dr. Louis D. Falo, Jr. is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Dermatology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Falo is a graduate of Harvard Medical School, where he earned both his MD and PhD degrees with a research interest in skin immunology. He completed an internship in internal medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, a dermatology residency through the Harvard Dermatology Program and a fellowship in cancer research at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Before coming to the University of Pittsburgh and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, he was a member of the Harvard faculty in the Department of Dermatology and at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. In addition to Dermatology, Dr. Falo has faculty appointments in the School of Engineering, Dept of Bioengineering, the Pittsburgh Clinical and Translational Science Institute, the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, and the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine. Clinically, Dr. Falo is the Director of the Occupational and Contact Dermatitis Program, and maintains an avid interest in the development of therapies for melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers. He is currently participating in clinical trials of novel immune therapies for skin cancers, and leads a very active research program that has been continuously funded by the NIH for over 20 years. Dr. Falo is a two-time winner of the University’s Innovator Award, inventor of several patented discoveries, and Co-Founder of SkinJect, Inc, a company focusing on the development of novel therapies for skin cancer.
Education & Training
- B.S., Biochemistry/Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- M.D., Immunology, Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Ph.D., Immunology, Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Internship, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Residency, Department of Dermatology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Fellowship, Division-Lymphocyte Biology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
Dr. Falo’s publications can be reviewed at the National Library of Medicine’s public database.
An overview of Dr. Falo's research interests can be found here.