Rashek Kazi, MD, PhD started his residency program at the University of Pittsburgh in July 2017.
Prior to beginning residency in Pittsburgh, Dr. Kazi earned his undergraduate degree from Stony Brook University. He went on to receive his medical degree and PhD from Stony Brook University School of Medicine.
Education & Training
- B.S., Stony Brook University
- M.D., Stony Brook University
- PhD, Neuroscience, Stony Brook University
- Kazi R, Moghaddam S, Chu P, Marghoob AA. Histologic Evidence of Melanocytes Isolated to the Nail Matrix. JAMA Dermatol. 2016 May 1;152(5):573-5. doi: 10.1001/jamadermatol.2015.5869.
- Alsaloum M, Kazi R, Gan Q, Amin J, Wollmuth LP. A Molecular Determinant of Subtype-Specific Desensitization in Ionotropic Glutamate Receptors. J Neurosci. 2016 Mar 2;36(9):2617-22. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2667-15.2016.
- Kazi R, Dai J, Sweeney C, Zhou HX, Wollmuth LP. Mechanical coupling maintains the fidelity of NMDA receptor-mediated currents. Nat Neurosci. 2014 Jul;17(7):914-22. doi: 10.1038/nn.3724.
- Choi UB, Kazi R, Stenzoski N, Wollmuth LP, Uversky VN, Bowen ME. Modulating the intrinsic disorder in the cytoplasmic domain alters the biological activity of the N-methyl-D-aspartate-sensitive glutamate receptor. J Biol Chem. 2013 Aug 2;288(31):22506-15. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M113.477810.
- Kazi R, Gan Q, Talukder I, Markowitz M, Salussolia CL, Wollmuth LP. Asynchronous movements prior to pore opening in NMDA receptors. J Neurosci. 2013 Jul 17;33(29):12052-66. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5780-12.2013.
- Salussolia CL, Gan Q, Kazi R, Singh P, Allopenna J, Furukawa H, Wollmuth LP. A eukaryotic specific transmembrane segment is required for tetramerization in AMPA receptors. J Neurosci. 2013 Jun 5;33(23):9840-5. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2626-12.2013.
- Salussolia CL, Corrales A, Talukder I, Kazi R, Akgul G, Bowen M, Wollmuth LP. Interaction of the M4 segment with other transmembrane segments is required for surface expression of mammalian α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid (AMPA) receptors. J Biol Chem. 2011 Nov 18;286(46):40205-18. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M111.268839.
- Talukder I, Kazi R, Wollmuth LP. GluN1-specific redox effects on the kinetic mechanism of NMDA receptor activation. Biophys J. 2011 Nov 16;101(10):2389-98. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.2011.10.015.