Tina L. Sumpter, PhD, is a Research Instructor in the Department of Dermatology, who joined the Department of Dermatology in 2010, after completing her postdoctoral training at the Starzl Transplantation Institute. Dr. Sumpter earned her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan, and received her PhD in Microbiology and Immunology from Indiana University School of Medicine.
- American Association of Immunologists
- Society for Investigative Dermatology
Education & Training
- B.S., University of Michigan
- M.S., Indiana State University
- Ph.D., Indiana University School of Medicine
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh
- Lott JM, Sumpter TL, Turnquist HR. New dog and new tricks: evolving roles for IL-33 in type 2 immunity. J. Leukoc Bio. 2015. 97(6): 1037-1048.
- Sumpter TL, Ho, CH, Pleet, AR, Tkacheva OA, Shufesky WJ, Rojas-Calanes DM, Morelli AE, Larregina AT.Autocrine hemokinin-1 functions as an endogenous adjuvant for IgE-mediated mast cell inflammatoryresponses. J Allergy and Clin Immunol 2015.135(4):1019-30.
- Sumpter TL and Falo LD Jr. “Toll-erance” in the skin. Immunity. 2014. doi10.1016/j.immuni.2014.11.003
- Janelsins BM, Sumpter TL* (*co-first authors), Tkacheva OA, Rojas-Canales DM, Erdos G, Mathers AR,Shufesky WJ, Storkus WJ, Falo LD Jr, Morelli AE, Larregina AT. 2013. Neurokinin-1 receptor agonists biastherapeutic dendritic cells to induce type 1 immunity by licensing host dendritic cells to produce IL-12.Blood. 121(15):2923-33. **selected for Comment, entitled ‘Harnessing DCs by substance P’, Blood 121(15):2815-6.
- Sumpter TL, Dangi A, Matta,BM, Huang, C, Stolz DB, Vodovotz Y , Thomson, AW and Gandhi CR. 2012.Hepatic stellate cells undermine the allostimulatory function of liver myeloid dendritic cells via STAT3-dependent induction of IDO. J Immunol. 89(8):3848-58.
- Stefanovic-Racic M, Yang X, Turner MS, Mantell BS, Stolz DB, Sumpter TL, Sipula IJ, Dedousis N, ScottDK, Morel PA, Thomson AW, O'Doherty RM. 2012. Dendritic cells promote macrophage infiltration andcomprise a substantial proportion of obesity-associated increases in CD11c+ cells in adipose tissue and liver. Diabetes. 61(9):2330-9.
- Matta BM, Raimondi G, Rosborough BR, Sumpter TL, Thomson AW. 2012. IL-27 production and STAT3-dependent upregulation of B7-H1 mediate immune regulatory functions of liver plasmacytoid dendritic cells. J. Immunol. 201(11):5227-37.
- Wang Z, Divito SJ, Shufesky WJ, Sumpter T, Wang H, Tkacheva OA, Wang W, Liu C, Larregina AT, Morelli A. 2012. Dendritic cell therapies in transplantation revisited: deletion of recipient DCs deters the effect of therapeutic DCs. Am J Transplant 12(6):1398-408.
- Dangi A, Sumpter TL, Kimura S, Stolz DB, Murase N, Raimondi G, Vodovotz Y, Huang C, Thomson AW,Gandhi CR. 2012. Selective expansion of allogeneic regulatory T cells by hepatic stellate cells: role of endotoxin and implications for allograft tolerance. J Immunol. 1888(8):3667-77.
- Sumpter TL and Thomson AW. The STATus of PD-L1 (B7-H1) on tolerogenic APCs. 2011. Eur J Immunol. 2011 Feb;41(2):286-90.
- Sumpter TL, Packiem V, Turnquist HT and Thomson AW. DAP12 Promotes IRAK-M expression and IL-10 production by liver myeloid dendritic cells and restrains their T Cell allostimulatory ability. 2011. J Immunol. 186(4):1970-80.
- Turnquist HR, Cardinal J, Macedo C, Rosborough BR, Sumpter TL, Geller DA, Metes D and Thomson AW. 2010. mTOR and GSK-3 shape the CD4+ T-cell stimulatory and differentiation capacity of myeloid DCs after exposure to LPS. Blood. 115(23):4758-69.
- Raimondi G, Sumpter TL, Matta BM, Pillai M, Corbitt N, Vodovotz Y, Wang Z, and Thomson AW. 2010. Mammalian target of rapamycin inhibition and alloantigen-specific regulatory T cells synergize to promote long-term graft survival in immunocompetent recipients. J Immunol. 184(2): 624-36.
- Castellaneta A, Sumpter TL, Chen L, Tokita D, and Thomson AW. 2009. NOD2 ligation subverts IFN-alpha
production by liver plasmacytoid dendritic cells and inhibits their T cell allostimulatory activity via B7-H1 upregulation.
J Immunol 183(11): 6922-32.
- Sumpter TL, Lunz J, Demetris AJ and Thomson AW. 2009. Molecular regulation of hepatic dendritic cell
function and its relation to liver transplant outcome. Transplant 88(3S):S40-44.
Dr. Sumpter’s research is focused on understanding the multifaceted role of mast cells in inflammatory disease, particularly in the skin. The long term goal of Dr. Sumpter’s research is to identify therapeutic targets for inhibiting mast cell activation and reducing collateral damage in the course of inflammatory diseases.
Grant Number: 1K01 AR067250-01A1
Title: Manipulating Neuropeptide Receptors in Mast Cells for Atopic Dermatitis Treatment
Role: Primary Investigator
Years Inclusive: 7/1/2015 - 6/30-2020